Wollongong Golf Club is one of the oldest in Australia and fast approaching a 120 year milestone. Our core values and philosophy have remained the same over this time with mateship, enrichment and respect being at the heart of everything we do.
Since 1897, the Wollongong Golf Club has worked tirelessly to foster a grass roots sporting culture. We pride ourselves on self-development, community involvement and participation and as such, have developed the following vision:
“To be recognised as regional Australia’s strongest member owned golf organisation.”
Wollongong Golf Club is the custodian of the largest green space in the greater Wollongong area. As trustees of such a unique estate, we take our environmental and land management responsibilities very seriously.
The overall focus of our vegetation management plan is to enhance the golfing experience, whilst showing the utmost respect to the native vegetation and wildlife, the waterways and the coastal environment.
The Wollongong Golf Club vegetation management plan is:
“To produce a consistent, aesthetically pleasing golf course through the use of native plant species that occur naturally throughout the Illawarra”.
Wollongong Golf Club is now accepting applications from dynamic and motivated individuals for the position of Course Superintendent. The successful applicant will join a Club that is a large part of the local Wollongong community. With a team of 6 staff (and a contracted mechanic), the successful applicant will report directly to the club’s General Manager and greens committee.
The Course Superintendent is charged with the responsibility of maintaining the course’s excellent reputation as one Australia’s oldest golf facilities, as well as maintaining the grounds surrounding the clubhouse, car parks and course boundaries. The department is responsible for doing the above safely within budgetary guidelines and in an environmentally friendly manner.
- Develop and manage annual golf course and capital works budgets.
- Regularly train employees in golf course management best practices including all relevant minimum requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Laws.
- Establish and implement course maintenance and asset management programs which will achieve the quality and cost objectives of the club’s agreed Annual budget and Strategic Plan.
- Maintain complete records relating to the golf courses maintenance activities including labour, machinery, pesticide applications, maintenance procedures, irrigation/weather records and inventory; and submit reports as required.
- Clearly present ideas and proposals, maintain open lines of communication, take responsibility for communication within department and maintain a professional manner at all times.
- Adopt the Wollongong Golf Club Values and the Businesses Critical Success Factors and their implications.
- Render professional advice, opinions, assistance and services to the facility’s board of directors or managing body as required.
- Participation in all long-range planning meetings.
- A hands-on leader that gets involved within a small team and regional club structure.
- 3-5 years in a similar type of role and facility.
- Previous project management and construction experience.
- Has worked at similar “links style” course and familiar with the local grasses that flourish in the region.
- Strong knowledge of current federal, state and local laws and regulations affecting the management of golf course operations (including, but not limited to, employment, safety and environmental standards, laws and regulations).
- Personal, approachable with excellent communication skills.
- The appropriate level of trade qualifications required for the role.
- Strong experience with environmental best practices.
The successful applicant will enjoy a vibrant club atmosphere and an appropriate remuneration package.
Applications are to include a Cover Letter addressing all criteria and CV (with current referees) submitted by email Attention: Mike Orloff firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will close at 5pm on 16 March 2015.
*Phone calls will not be accepted at this time. All applicants must already have the right to work in Australia.