The Australian based social media statistics provider Socialmedianews.com.au, have released their report for the month of February 2017, outlining the most popular social network sites in Australia.
Facebook has yet again seen another increase in active users, both globally and with the Australian audience growing further. The number of active users is now reaching approximately 17 million, which make up for almost 70% of the total Australian population.
Globally, the platform now has 1.86 billion monthly active users, of which 1.23 billion are daily active users.
Noticeable for the season, clients tend to increase their activity on social media during the months of summer, as people are more inclined to share their holiday photos and updates with friends and family.
Social Media Statistics Australia – February 2017
- Facebook – 17,000,000 users (up 1 million since last update)
2. YouTube – 15,000,000 UAVs
3. WordPress.com – 5,100,000
4. Instagram – 5,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (Facebook/ Instagram data)
5. Snapchat – 4,000,000 DAILY Active Australian Users (Snapchat data)
6. Tumblr – 4,000,000
7. LinkedIn – 3,600,000
8. WhatsApp – 3,100,000 Active Australian Users (30% increase since 2015)
9. Twitter – 2,800,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx
10. TripAdvisor – 2,800,000
11. Tinder – 2,200,000 Australian users (my estimation)
12. Blogspot- 1,700,000
13. Yelp – 1,500,000
14. Flickr – 500,000
15. Pinterest – 280,000
16. Reddit – 100,000
17. MySpace – 80,000
18. Google Plus – 60,000 monthly active Australian users approx (my estimation *revised*)
19. StumbleUpon – 39,000
20. Foursquare/Swarm – 11,000
21. Digg – 10,000
22. Periscope – 9,000
23. Delicious – 8,000
(All figures represent the number of Unique Australian Visitors [UAVs] to that website over the monthly period – unless otherwise stated above).
Penetration of the Australian Population
- 7 in 10 Australians use Facebook
- 1 in 2 Australians use YouTube
- 1 in 5 Australians use Instagram
- 1 in 6 Australians use Snapchat
Key Points to Note:
- 70% of the total Australian population is an active monthly user on Facebook.
- 1 in 6 Australians are a Daily User on Snapchat.
- Twitter has experienced stagnant user growth over the past 2 years and has a considerable churn rate of new users signing up but then never using the service.
Need Help With a Social Media Strategy?
How are you communicating with your various target markets – including the local market of potential customers and your existing customers? We can help by suggesting ways to improve your communication methods and materials for your golf marketing campaign. Click here to contact Mike Orloff
Mike Orloff, a marketing strategist for the golf industry, as well a US and Australian PGA Member with more than 25 years of industry-wide experience, including 18 years working in senior roles for two of the biggest international golf management companies in Australia and the USA – American Golf Corporation and Clubcorp.