Wolfbrook Property Purchases Pegasus Golf Course with Intent to Rezone for Housing
The Pegasus golf course near Christchurch is expected to be developed into housing following its purchase by Christchurch-based developer Wolfbrook Property Group.
Financial Collapse and Sale of Championship Venue
The 18-hole, 80-hectare championship course was put into voluntary liquidation on March 6 after its parent company, Pegasus Golf Ltd, fell into financial strife. A liquidator’s report revealed the club owed approximately $9 million to creditors. At the time, the club reassured members on social media that operations would continue during the liquidation process, and a volunteer group known as the Pegasus Guardians has since been maintaining the course to keep it playable.
The property features extensive facilities, including a driving range, practice greens, pro shop, tennis courts, a gym, a bar, and a cafe. Prior to Wolfbrook’s acquisition, multiple unsuccessful offers were made to purchase the site, including proposals that pledged to keep the golf course operational. The course was previously purchased in 2018 by Auckland businessman Xiangming (Sam) Huo and his company, Sports and Education Corporation Ltd, before entering financial difficulty by 2024.
Developer Outlines Plans for Housing and Transition
Wolfbrook Property Group chief executive Guy Randall confirmed to the New Zealand Herald that the company intends to pursue rezoning of the land to build homes. Randall stated the course will temporarily remain open and that Wolfbrook will work with golf club members, neighboring landowners, and stakeholders.
“We understand this property holds significant emotional and community value for many people in the Pegasus area,” Randall said. “Our goal is to approach this transition thoughtfully and respectfully while helping address ongoing demand for housing across Waimakariri and the greater Christchurch region.”
To assist with the transition, Wolfbrook plans to allow the course to remain open free of charge for a short period following settlement day, permit the clubhouse to be used for a farewell event, retain the tennis courts for community use, and keep public walking tracks accessible for as long as safety allows.
“While the golf course itself is no longer financially viable, and will not be reopening in the long term, we are committed to maintaining aspects of the site where feasible – including its impressive water features – so they can continue to be enjoyed by the Pegasus community,” Randall said, adding that community engagement will be integral to the rezoning planning process.
Community and Golf Sector React to Loss of Sporting Asset
The loss of the course marks the end of a major regional sporting venue. Pegasus has hosted several high-profile golfing tournaments, including the Ladies European Tour rounds from 2010 to 2012, the NZPGA tournament in 2019, a leg of the Sir Bob Charles Tour in 2020, and the Club Car Classic event on the Charles Tour in October.
Reacting to the sale, a member of the Pegasus Guardians told the Herald that many local residents will be “gutted” by the development.
“It’s such a shame it’s come to this,” the member said. “It’s a mint golf course – people must have taken it for granted.”
Canterbury Golf general manager Blair Minton previously described the liquidation as “devastating news” for the club and local golf community.
“They’re one of the traditional championship standard courses. It’s devastating news for everyone involved,” Minton said.













