Cairns Golf Club, located in tropical Far North Queensland, is seeking to appoint an experienced PGA Golf Professional to assist their 800 Members and oversee 50,000+ rounds of golf per year.
Cairns Golf Club was established in 1923, it is a 6159m, par 72 course with a modern clubhouse, two putting greens and a full-length driving range. It is Cairns’ busiest golf facility and has the most robust membership base in the region. The club is in a sustained period of growth and in a financially solid position. Our board of directors is forward-thinking and focuses on governance and strategic planning rather than day-to-day operations. This role reports directly to the General Manager.
Cairns is an attractive place to both live and raise a family as well as possessing thriving recreation and nightlife. With the Great Barrier Reef on its doorstep, Cairns has exceptional weather during times of the year when other Australian Capital Cities are in deep winters, with the region boasting plenty of sunshine annually. The weekly rental prices in Cairns are significantly cheaper than other major centres and thus the cost of living in Cairns is lower making the remuneration package offered for this position very competitive.
The role will involve:
This is an exciting role to take charge of and further develop our golf operations department through our continued period of growth.
Working Autonomously or within our leadership team, the key responsibilities will be:
- Leading and developing the golf operations team.
- Maintain a profitable and customer-focused retail space.
- Ensure handicapping and daily results are correct and submitted as well as prize allocations.
- Manage a full golf event calendar, from daily member competitions to Honour Board and Regional events.
- Continuously raise the bar for customer experience and service.
- Oversee the Clubs 20 x undercover bay driving range operation and a fleet of 62 golf carts.
- Assist in developing all aspects of the Club’s golf business with a focus on exceeding member and guest expectations and increasing visitor yield.
- Develop policies and procedures, ensuring they remain current and compliant.
- Collaborating with other department staff members to ensure seamless operations across the club.
- Maintaining a safe, clean, and professional golfing environment
- Issuing of competition timesheets and finalising of all competitions.
- Liaising with members on issues relative to daily competitions, club championships and major golfing events.
- Management, rostering and leading our 12 x Golf Shop staff.
- Development and implementation of merchandising and sales plans.
- Overseeing the daily operations of the golf shop business including supplier and contract management.
- Add value to the Club through strategic planning to identify opportunities for continuous improvement.
PGA Professional accreditation and must have (or willing to) complete the PGA’s Workplace Training Program in order to indenture the PGA Associate employed at the facility and by extension, manage their associated requirements.
- Excellent people management skills and a passion for leading and mentoring staff.
- Ability to implement and follow club procedures.
- Flexibility in work hours, weekend work is required in this role.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High personal standard for customer service and positive attitude towards your work.
- Previous experience in a similar role is desirable.
- A friendly and approachable manner that will instil confidence in those around them.
- Strong planning, organisational and problem solving skills as well as the ability to lead a team and ensure positive outcomes.
- A sound knowledge of retailing, administrative planning, IT, and golf software (MiClub).
- An understanding of core golf club operations and key golf related business drivers.
The Director of Golf role reports directly to the General Manager with a salary range of $90,000 – $120,000 + superannuation in addition to sales commissions on shop stock sales
- Annual PGA membership fees paid
- Ability to teach and retain 90% of lesson revenue conducted outside rostered hours, in collaboration with contracted Teaching Professional.
- Phone allowance
- 38 hours per week, with 2 consecutive days off (subject to major events)
- Final package and commission-based structure will be dependent on the level of experience and negotiated with the successful candidate.
For more Information:
If you feel you possess the relevant skills and experience and you want to be a leader in our progressive Club, please submit your resume including a cover letter by e-mail to the General Manager, Matt Bolton firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information or a confidential discussion, please call Matt Bolton on 0419 780 597
Thursday 30th of November 2023.
To be negotiated with the successful applicant with a preferable starting date in late January 2024
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com