Browsing Golf Industry NewsVIEW ALL

Doors close at Cessnock Golf Club ahead of creditors’ meeting next month

POSTED ON May 1, 2019 @ 6:43 pm

And as liquidation of the 93-year-old Coalfields facility becomes likely for the club, which has been languishing under the weight of about $13 million debt, its patron and president are hoping an investor will come to an 11th hour rescue.

The club’s most recent president Robert Hodge said Monday’s closure was “devastating” for the community and would leave a big hole in an area where there were few public golf courses – most being privately run.

Mr Hodge, who has been a member for 37 years, is a former professional golfer and lives a stone’s throw from the clubhouse, said the course had been a place where many world class golfers had competed as juniors.

“We just desperately need an investor to take over the club,” he said.

“I’m still reeling from it all. It hasn’t hit me yet.”

The club’s board signed up for a partnership with Daracon for a $30 million redevelopment about a decade ago, which included a residential subdivision, a new clubhouse and an 18-hole course designed by golf legend Jack Newton.

The completed redevelopment was known as Stonebridge.

Administrator Simon Thorn from PKF Australia said on Monday the decision to close the club was not based on one particular thing.

He cited a collapsed amalgamation negotiation, an unresolved Environment Protection Authority clean-up notice and the fact that the club “financially, has not been trading well” as reasons behind the move.

Mr Thorn has organised a meeting for creditors in the coming weeks, in which he plans to recommend the club be liquidated.

“We’ve been there over 12 months and explored every opportunity to keep it open and keep it in members’ hands, but unfortunately I think we’ve exhausted those opportunities,” he told the Newcastle Herald.

Federal Hunter MP Joel Fitzgibbon, who is the Cessnock Golf Club patron, said he particularly felt for green keeper Merv Hayward who he labelled “first class” and said had “gone beyond the call of duty” even as the club was under administration.

Mr Fitzgibbon said the club had a rich history but, like many public golf courses, it had been struggling for some time.

“It’s a tragedy for the local community, in particular the golfing fraternity, and even at this late hour we still live in hope that a white knight might come along and save the 93-year-old and iconic facility,” he said.

The creditors’ meeting is scheduled to be held in Newcastle at 9.30am on Monday, May 13.

Golf Club has ceased trading as of today Monday 29th April 2019. To all the many volunteers that worked tirelessly to keep the club afloat. To all the die hard members who supported the club week in and week out. To all the staff who worked so many different positions to keep the club afloat. We thank you all from the bottom of our hearts. This is not only a sad day for all our members but a sad day for the Cessnock Community,” read the club’s facebook page on April 29.

Source: The Herald

Comments are closed.


CLICK HERE TO Sign Up for the GIC Newsletter for all the latest Industry News.

The Business of Golf – Africa’s Premier Golf Busines...

The cover for this issue of BG Magazine...

Golf Ball Recycling: Golf has Always Been More Than Just a G...

In Scotland, where golf was born, courses were...

Golf Ball Recycling and Golf Industry Central Partner to pro...

Golf Ball Recycling (GBR), a world first full-cycle...

NZ: Pukekohe Golf Club Unveils $2.5 Million Clubhouse Transformat...

The Pukekohe Golf Club has officially unveiled its spectacular $2.5 million clubhouse refurbishment

Sharrock Appointed General Manager of Geelong Golf Group...

The Geelong Golf Group has announced the appointment of Nathan Sharrock as General Manager, as the organisation continues expanding its operations across...

Pitch Golf to Anchor Cremorne’s Matchworks Redevelopment in Aus...

MELBOURNE – Global entertainment brand Pitch Golf Australia has secured its first domestic location at the Matchworks precinct in Cremorne. The deal,...

Ryan Fox Pledges $1,000 Per Bogey-Free Round to Global Climate In...

Kiwi golf professional Ryan Fox is leveraging his performance on the green to drive environmental change, pledging a significant financial commitment to...

The Business of Golf – Africa’s Premier Golf Business Pub...

The cover for this issue of BG Magazine is slightly less apocalyptic than we could have used, but then...

The Business of Golf – Africa’s Premier Golf Business Pub...

This month’s cover image is not the usual type we use in BG Magazine, especially as it relates to...

Japan’s XEBIO Eyes Move to Acquire Drummond Golf by 2027...

Japanese sporting goods giant XEBIO Holdings Co., Ltd. announced it has approved key terms to acquire 100% of the...

Southeast Asia’s Golf Equipment Market Sees Explosive 533% ...

SEA golf trade value is skyrocketing by 533%, driven by a shift to premium gear. Despite fewer buyers, hubs...

A Fresh New Chapter for Dining at Indooroopilly Golf Club...

Discover a fresh new dining experience at Indooroopilly Golf Club with the unveiling of its beautifully renovated restaurant and...

Golf Australia Appoints Nicolle Rantanen Reynolds as Vice Chair...

Golf Australia has appointed Nicolle Rantanen Reynolds as Vice Chair, strengthening the organisation’s leadership as it prepares to deliver...