The Australian based social media statistics provider Socialmedianews.com.au, have outlined statistics for the most popular social media sites in Australia for the month of April.
Social Media Statistics Australia – April 2017
1. Facebook – 17,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (steady)
2. YouTube – 15,200,000 UAVs
3. WordPress.com – 5,200,000
4. Instagram – 5,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (FB/ Instagram data)
5. Snapchat – 4,000,000 DAILY Active Australian Users (Snapchat data)
6. LinkedIn – 4,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx
7. Tumblr – 3,800,000
8. WhatsApp – 3,100,000 Active Australian Users (30% increase since 2015)
9. Twitter – 3,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx
10. TripAdvisor – 2,600,000
11. Tinder – 2,400,000 Australian users (my estimation)
12. WeChat – 2,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx – (my estimation)
13. Blogspot- 1,500,000
14. Yelp – 1,500,000
15. Flickr – 490,000
16. Pinterest – 280,000
17. Reddit – 100,000
18. MySpace – 80,000
19. Google Plus – 60,000 Monthly active Australian users approx – (my estimation)
20. RenRen – 50,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx – (my estimation)
21. StumbleUpon – 39,000
22. Weibo – 20,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx – (my estimation)
23. Foursquare/Swarm – 11,000
24. Digg – 10,000
25. Periscope – 9,000
26. Delicious – 8,000
(All figures represent the number of Unique Australian Visitors [UAVs] to that website over the monthly period – unless otherwise stated above. Facebook Data includes users of desktop, mobile, application and messenger services).
Australian Facebook Users As A Percentage Of The Total Population
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics Population Clock there are approximately 24.4 million Australians.
Facebook’s recent data shows there are now 17 million active Australians on Facebook. Therefore approximately 70% of the total Australian population is an active Facebook user. This is a huge number.
Penetration of the Australian Population
- 7 in 10 Australians use Facebook
- 1 in 2 Australians use YouTube
- 1 in 5 Australians use Instagram
- 1 in 6 Australians use Snapchat
Global Stats of Interest
- Facebook Monthly Active Users (Worldwide) – 1.86 billion
- Facebook Daily Active Users (Worldwide) – 1.23 billion
- Instagram Monthly Active Users (Worldwide) – 600 million
- LinkedIn Registered Users (Worldwide) – 467 million
- Snapchat Daily Active Users (Worldwide) – 161 million
Key Points to Note:
- LinkedIn now reports there are 8 million registered users in Australia, according to our research around half of this number log in every month.
- 70% of the total Australian population is an active monthly user on Facebook.
- 1 in 2 Australians watch YouTube videos
- Blogging platforms such as WordPress while they don’t get the publicity like other networks still attractive a lot of users and readers on a monthly basis. Generally this is from people viewing free wordpress.com websites created by students, professionals, companies, artists, media consutlants, and just your average internet users looking for their own space and website on the internet. This data does not include wordpress.org sites.
Need Help With a Social Media Strategy?
How are you communicating with your various target markets – including the local market of potential customers and your existing customers? We can help by suggesting ways to improve your communication methods and materials for your golf marketing campaign. Click here to contact Mike Orloff
Mike Orloff, a marketing strategist for the golf industry, as well a US and Australian PGA Member with more than 25 years of industry-wide experience, including 18 years working in senior roles for two of the biggest international golf management companies in Australia and the USA – American Golf Corporation and Clubcorp.