Browsing Golf Industry NewsVIEW ALL

Paradise Palms Golf Club’s fate has been sealed

POSTED ON September 1, 2021 @ 7:50 am

Paradise Palms boss Darren Halpin has now revealed his next step to finally push the $300m Paradise Palms redevelopment through to bricks and mortar stage.

The biggest battle has now been fought and won but plenty more approvals are still needed before the project reaches construction.

Current approvals are in place for rezoning and the division of the site into five lots – ostensibly to make it more “manageable” but also to make the internal road approvals process easier to navigate.

Further subdivisions must get the green light, including for 330 separate freehold residential lots.

The development would see the 206-acre property transform into “one of the most liveable communities in Australia”, according to project proponents PPNQ Developments.

Need Council approval

Distinct plans for each of the site’s sections, such as a great big water park that will sit beside a caravan and villa tourist park, will also require the council’s tick.

“The school development application is already with council,” Mr Halpin said.

“That’s going through all their approvals process now.

“The residential stage is what we want to happen as soon as possible.

“We want to get Stage 1 of residential up and running – that’s 87 lots.

“We are working on that now as well as the final designs for the water park and the tourist park.”

The course’s closure

Mr Halpin shut the unprofitable course in 2019 and revealed plans to undertake a massive redevelopment.

Those plans for The Palms, as it will be known, have evolved over the ensuing years to include a 330-lot residential subdivision, a Catholic primary school, a tourist caravan park and villas, water park, retirement village and open-space wildlife corridors.

The course’s closure was immediately met with protests from nearby residents who argued it should be kept as public open space, and that any redevelopment would bring down their property prices.

It became one of Cairns Regional Council’s most controversial decisions with only councillors Brett Olds and Rob Pyne voting against its approval in November last year.

Mayor Bob Manning said he “saw no reason why the proposal wouldn’t go ahead” but Cr Olds argued it flew in the face of the reason a lot of people moved to the area.

“People have set their lives up around there … there is going to be huge impact on people’s lives and now what we are saying is we are going to let the developer come in and change it,” he said.

That now appears to be a moot point with the appeal about to be dropped – a move that will also likely save ratepayers a lot of money in legal fees, excluding the ones they have already covered.

Related Articles:

Comments are closed.


CLICK HERE TO Sign Up for the GIC Newsletter for all the latest Industry News.

The Business of Golf – Africa’s Premier Golf Busines...

The cover for this issue of BG Magazine...

Golf Ball Recycling: Golf has Always Been More Than Just a G...

In Scotland, where golf was born, courses were...

Golf Ball Recycling and Golf Industry Central Partner to pro...

Golf Ball Recycling (GBR), a world first full-cycle...

NZ: Pukekohe Golf Club Unveils $2.5 Million Clubhouse Transformat...

The Pukekohe Golf Club has officially unveiled its spectacular $2.5 million clubhouse refurbishment

Sharrock Appointed General Manager of Geelong Golf Group...

The Geelong Golf Group has announced the appointment of Nathan Sharrock as General Manager, as the organisation continues expanding its operations across...

Pitch Golf to Anchor Cremorne’s Matchworks Redevelopment in Aus...

MELBOURNE – Global entertainment brand Pitch Golf Australia has secured its first domestic location at the Matchworks precinct in Cremorne. The deal,...

Ryan Fox Pledges $1,000 Per Bogey-Free Round to Global Climate In...

Kiwi golf professional Ryan Fox is leveraging his performance on the green to drive environmental change, pledging a significant financial commitment to...

The Business of Golf – Africa’s Premier Golf Business Pub...

The cover for this issue of BG Magazine is slightly less apocalyptic than we could have used, but then...

The Business of Golf – Africa’s Premier Golf Business Pub...

This month’s cover image is not the usual type we use in BG Magazine, especially as it relates to...

Japan’s XEBIO Eyes Move to Acquire Drummond Golf by 2027...

Japanese sporting goods giant XEBIO Holdings Co., Ltd. announced it has approved key terms to acquire 100% of the...

Southeast Asia’s Golf Equipment Market Sees Explosive 533% ...

SEA golf trade value is skyrocketing by 533%, driven by a shift to premium gear. Despite fewer buyers, hubs...

NZ: Pukekohe Golf Club Unveils $2.5 Million Clubhouse Transformat...

The Pukekohe Golf Club has officially unveiled its spectacular $2.5 million clubhouse refurbishment

Sharrock Appointed General Manager of Geelong Golf Group...

The Geelong Golf Group has announced the appointment of Nathan Sharrock as General Manager, as the organisation continues expanding...