- Are you looking for a sea change in a beautiful location?
- Do you love the ocean, and hiking in National Parks?
- Are you ready to grow your leadership and management skills?
If you answered yes, then this stress-free lifestyle and career opportunity is calling your name!
Founded in 1961, Nelson Bay Golf Club is a 27-hole championship golf course located on the outskirts of the Tomaree National Park in the heart of Nelson Bay, just minutes from the Nelson Bay CBD. The Clubhouse is ranked in the top 50 courses in Australia for rounds costing under $50 mid-week and boasts 80k golf rounds per annum.
Nelson Bay GC is a strong member and community-based club with an annual turnover of approximately $4,5M with approximately 1250 golfing members and 4950 social members. The Club takes pride in supporting the local community by participating in events and also hosts its own golfing and social events throughout the year for all ages and golfing abilities.
The Club has been purpose-built to accommodate a wide variety of events and is the ideal destination for short breaks, family holidays, corporate golf days, social golf group destinations, weddings, or conferences.
The facilities (with a completed $2.7mil irrigation upgrade in 2021/22) include a fully air-conditioned function centre with its own dedicated bar and entrance, main bar, sports bar, indoor/outdoor gaming facilities with 31 poker machines, cafe/lounge area, the contracted Bluewater Grill Restaurant, children’s room all with stunning 180-degree views of the course and headlands. The contracted Pro-Shop is fully stocked and provides all professional services to members, guests, and the community.
The Club is now looking to appoint an experienced General Manager, as the incumbent General Manager is retiring after 8 years at the Club.
Reporting to the Board of Directors of Nelson Bay Golf Club, the General Manager is responsible for all day-to-day operations and will display a flexible approach to work hours and a willingness to be hands-on to manage events and/or issues as they arise. The role will include golfing with members on occasion.
The role exists to deliver strong financial, commercial and people leadership across the Club, ultimately enabling a profitable and sustainable business model. This will be done through the establishment of strategy, planning and monitoring which deliver quality service and Club products for Club members, guests, and the community.
The ideal applicant will be someone who can demonstrate the following:
- Proven sound financial leadership and asset management including the golf course or sporting facilities.
- High standard of communication, negotiation, problem-solving and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with staff at all levels of the organisation, the elected Board, members, and with all other internal and external clients.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritise, organise, and set realistic timeframes to achieve desired outcomes and to meet deadlines for both self and team.
- Ability to develop projects that will expand and broaden local interest in the use of the Club’s facilities.
- Strong skills in marketing and the ability to promote the Club and its facilities.
- Experience in the delivery of service for a similar-sized club and function business.
- Ability to engage and direct staff to grow profitable private functions and attract external golf groups.
- Strong experience in managing Poker Machines.
- Develop annual business plans, aligned to and enabling the achievement of the Club’s strategy.
- Handling of recruitment, performance management, professional development, and termination needs for the Club Management Team, and other areas as required.
- Launch new and creative initiatives to maximise the use of the Club and Course, with follow on positive results in revenue.
- Ensuring the Club maintains its reputation of being friendly and inclusive through working positively with members, the Board and staff, sponsors, creditors, all levels of government, and any other stakeholders.
- Being proactive in identifying and advising the Board on how to grow/retain membership, improve the Club’s financial position, and develop the golf course and related bar and event business through strategic business planning.
- Be an active golfer.
It is desired that the General Manager has a minimum of five years’ experience in working as a General Manager/Club Manager or in a senior management role in a Licensed Club environment (a previous GM Role in a Golf Club would be preferred).
The candidate would ideally hold Tertiary qualifications in Business or Commerce (or equivalent). However, applicants who can demonstrate relevant experience in a similar role or industry will also be considered.
You will need to be eligible or currently hold the following:
- Working with Children Check
- NSW driver’s licence
- Liquor Approved Manager Licence
- Current RSA and RCG Certificates
Please provide a CV with Cover Letter addressing the above Selection Criteria to Mike via the tab below by 22 May 2022.
For more information about the Club, please visit their website.
*Sorry no phone calls will be taken at this time and all applicants must have a right to work in Australia.